Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Stieg Larsson Rule

I am on vacation at a posh resort in the Caribbean, courtesy of my sweetie. She works nights so we are down here to replenish her body's supply of vitamin D. I think this resort has a policy that all guests may only read Stieg Larsson books beside the pool or on the beach. Everyone has a copy of his books. I didn't think there were this many people left who had not read these books. I brought some Henning Mankell novels and so far they have allowed me to keep them. I guess it's because Mankell is a Swede, too. Kindles are very nice for indoor reading. But not so good during tropical downpours. I'm glad I brought paperbacks along with the Kindle as we spent half the day huddled under a beach umbrella reading in the rain. Also, Cuban cigars really hurt your throat. And everyone here is drunk. Except me, of course.

5 comments:

Nick Jones (Louis XIV, the Sun King) said...

Of course. Although, why not?

Book Glutton said...

It is hard to give a sensible answer but I don't drink. Quit almost 10 years ago. As dumb as it sounds, I read most of Lawrence Block's Matthew Scudder novels way back then and they really made me not want to drink. Them and a memoir about drinking by Caroline Knapp. Important decision, stupid reasons.

This place would be a great place to fall off the wagon. Unlimited free booze. Premium brands, too. The bars open at 9 AM. And they will bring the drinks to you. They have a bar in the pool, too.

Nick Jones (Louis XIV, the Sun King) said...

To be honest, I'm not really much of a drinker either -- partly as a consequence of That Night, but mostly because I just never have been. But I do enjoy those bits of novels, especially Ross Thomas ones, where characters enjoy a tumbler of whiskey, probably because I've never developed a taste for it myself -- a kind of vicarious pleasure.

The resort sounds brilliant though. Bet you're getting some reading done.

OlmanFeelyus said...

It looks like they are using the same white balls from The Prisoner to ensure that all guests are reading only Stieg Larsson books.

Book Glutton said...

The place did feel a lot like The Village. By the end of our stay, the Chief Administrator allowed in copies of The Hunger Games and Game of Thrones.