Monday, September 19, 2005

New Books

On Beauty - Zadie Smith
The People's Act of Love - James Meek
Veronica - Mary Gaitskill
Seven Lies - James Lasdun
The Seige of Krishnapur - J.G. Farrell
The Highbinders - Ross Thomas
The Eighth Dwarf - Ross Thomas
The Money Harvest - Ross Thomas
Voodoo, Ltd. - Ross Thomas
The Cold War Swap - Ross Thomas

These are all the books I picked up this weekend.

Briefly - the James Meek book looks fantastic. I wasn't crazy about the subject matter and did not buy a copy from Amazon UK when it made the Booker longlist in August - but once I read a bit of it, I knew I had to have it. Ross Thomas books are hard to find so I grab them when I can. I'll write more about him later. Lasdun seems promising, Gaitskill I bought because I always get her stuff. And the Farrell book as a nice NYRB Classics edition - much nicer than my old Penguin copy.

No comments: